Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Book-it!


Did you ever participate in Book-it, the pizza hut literacy program? Back in the day, I would read my little heart out for the reward of my very own personal pan pizza. Nummeh nummeh! Get in mah tummeh!
Source

Nowadays (who knew that was all one word? you did if you read M-W.com!), I read for either the pastoral or the relaxation benefits. I started to read, "How to Win Friends and Influence People," by Dale Carnegie thinking it would benefit my work life and my business practices. Turns out, this is just a great book for interacting with people period.
Source

If you are planning a wedding, or ever interact with other human beings, I highly recommend this book. For the application of wedding planning, I think that the principles outlined by Dale Carnegie could protect you from transforming into a Bridezilla. Seriously, (and I know I'm starting to sound like an infomercial now) following the principles in this book will help you to get more of what you want with less stress.

I have a personal testimony now (I promise this is for real the way the Shamwow isn't!): At work, I tended to be upfront and professional because I thought I was battling the stereotypes that older, retired military males put on young female professionals. I was playing hardball to earn respect. Sometimes I would be stonewalled or ignored. I started using the principle of starting my correspondence with a compliment. The change in responses I started receiving was drastic. I got emails returned to me quickly and positively.

Now, take this principle away from work and turn it on the wedding industry! I really wanted some honest feedback about a particular venue. I had seen the venue featured in a photographer's blog. What I really wanted was to say, "Do you like the venue?" and for the photog to say yes or no. But that's not how you go about it. Instead, I emailed the photog and started by saying that I had been following his blog. That I liked the feel of his pictures. That I especially liked such and such's wedding with the black and white photo of the cake cutting. I got a great response and was able to chat with him about the venue and about their photography. In fact, the photographer has offered to extend his 2009 prices to me.

Read the book. Practice the principles. Tell me your success stories!

No comments: