Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mine at Last: Their Little Girl

We're a team and I was so touched by the many ways that my parents were involved in my marriage preparation. From wise counsel to financial support, they gave of themselves in every way.  I certainly don't want to make anyone feel badly if they don't have this relationship with their parents, but I do want to appreciate our special relationship and give them a small nod.  As I've become more cognizant of the wide spectrum of parental relationships, I've become more and more grateful for my parents.

I particularly loved dancing with my Dad at the recption. It was a small tribute to the deepness of our relationship.

My Dad researched Father/Daughter dances for the better part of a month.  He wanted to hit just the right tone and feature just the right lyrics.  With a little input from me, we finally decided on Steve Kirwan's My Little Girl.  It's not too mainstream, but it's known in some Christian circles.  The lyrics are:

From the moment I first held you
And rocked you to sleep
In my heart I knew
A child is never yours to keep
I knew one day you'd learn to fly
But I never dreamed what I'd feel inside

As I dance the last dance
With my little girl
And the first with the woman
Who's found her place in the world
I see the woman in you
But for my whole life through
You'll always be my little girl

You wrapped me 'round your finger
Your smile made me melt
I wished so many times
I would've told you what I felt
From your first steps
to sweet sixteen
The rush of memories
feels like a dream

Somewhere about half way through the dance, I was singing along with the band and mouthing the words to my Dad when I realized that they were playing the wrong song.  They ended up playing Tim McGraw's My Little Girl.  Serendipitously, my Dad and I had originally liked Tim McGraw's song, but we chose not to go with it due to the one line that says the man in his daughter's life "won't be good enough."  My family loves Mr. Palindrome and didn't want in any way to come across as though they didn't approve.   Mr. Palindrome didn't notice the line and I'm just glad we knew the mistaken song and felt a connection to it!

Also, my mom's presence despite health concerns meant the world to me. I think one of the main reasons she was able to participate is because of the joy pumping through her heart.
She looked killer to boot.  We found the jacket and skirt at Macy's back in October and although at first she wasn't 100% sold, everyone was so complimentary about the avant garde qualities of the jacket that she for sure it was the right choice for the wedding.

Not only was my mom present throughout the ceremony, but she helped shut down the reception as one of the last dancers on the floor.

I wasn't sure how being married would effect my relationship with them.  Before, I talked with them almost everyday, mulling life questions, asking advice, sharing my life.  I was a little worried that everything would change.  To be truthful, it has changed a little bit.  I still talk with them frequently, but Mr. Palindrome and I have been building our relationship as well.  Now that I live with Mr. Palindrome, I have instant access to his thoughts and life, whereas even when we were engaged, I would probably talk to my parents first on my way home from work and then to Mr. Palindrome later before bed.  Part of it is a larger "leave and cleave" kind of phenomenon of starting our own family.  Despite the changes, I still have a strong and vibrant tie with my parents.  I'm still their little girl.

No comments: