Tuesday, September 8, 2009

DIY UnItY Candles

When I added DIY to the front of Unity, all I could think of removing the n and t - DIY UIY.  I'm pronouncing it Dooey Yooey in my head.  Carry on.

I've seen the tradition at most weddings I've been to and didn't question keeping it for a moment.  The future Mr. Palindrome likes to say that my favorite wedding planning is "breaking the mold."  However, in this tradition, I've decided to let my little light shine.  The symbolism is just, well the essence of what marriage means, the joining of two into one.  Amen.

AnyDIY, these are the supplies that I collected for this project:
2 taper candles (I used pearlescent ones from JoAnn's)
1 pillar candle (also pearlescent from JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon)
Satin ribbon (various that I had already purchased for the bouts and bouquets)
Vintage clip on earrings (Etsy)
Vintage brooch (I found the matching one on Etsy from a different seller!)
Hot glue gun
Pillar candle holder (from Michael's with a 40% off coupon)
Pair of candlesticks (from Michael's with an extra 20% off entire purchase coupon)

The DIY to this is so insanely easy, it's almost not fair. 
1. Cut a length of ribbon that will overlap itself around the candle plus .5"
2. Clip the earrings or brooch slightly to either side of the middle of the length of ribbon. I decided not to glue the jewelry at all so that I can either reuse them or sell them later.
3. Hot glue the backside of one side of the ribbon to the candle.
4. Tuck the loose end slightly underneath itself to form a crease and hot glue to the back of the candle as well.

See? Overlapping and folded into a nice edge.  No rocket science here.
5. Repeat with each candle.
6. Stick them into or on their holders. I plan on using this after the wedding in my home.

5 and 6 are really just common sense.  If you can pull a trigger, you can do this project!

And here's the finished product:

Holy overexposed unity candle, Batman!  Sadly, this is what happens in my apartment after dark.  The ole point'n'shoot wants to use a flash.  Boo.  But you get the idea. 

PS - if you need a good laugh, look up "Unity Candle" on Wikipedia.  My favorite line is: "The lighting ceremony may be accompanied by special music, an explanation of the symbolism, or just some period of mutual gazing by the happy couple."  Happy "mutual gazing!"

2 comments:

Belinda C said...

These came out great! I love that you do so much DIY!!! LOVE!
I was planning on doing this to my candles too....thanks for the entertaining tutorial.
I'm also doing the "epoxy-ing" of glass stuff together as in your cake plate tutorial! Great minds think alike! lol

bridal hair make up said...

i like that very much !