Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Inspiration from an old dead white guy

So Miss Snapdragon wrote about her van Gogh inspired wedding ideas and I really identified with her. Since I began to have serious grown-up dreams about my wedding, I've always associated my ideas with a particular painting. My van Gogh happens to be John Singer Sargent.

My favorite painting of his, "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose," embodied what I felt like was a perfect, ethereal, Gatsby-esque, summer, dream wedding. I wanted fireflies, gardens, and those gorgous lanterns.

Source

Since I'm decidedly not having a summer, garden wedding, I've gone back to Sargent for more inspiration.

I want at least one bridal portrait of me to feel like this:

Source

I want me bridsmaids feel strong and beautiful in black dresses they love:

Source

I want my reception to have a little of this!:

Source

And perhaps for the cocktail recpetion lighting to have this kind of glow:

Source

Do particular artists inspire your wedding style? Or has a particular painting inspired any aspect of your wedding?

2 comments:

Christine said...

Your wedding is going to be so deliciously refined!! I'm so excited for you! :)

Ms Bear Cub said...

monet totally inspired my wedding colors!