Monday, March 9, 2009

My Own J-Lo: Part 1


Well, hopefully my coordinator isn't going to run off with my groom . . . but I'm very excited that I decided to hire an event designer/wedding coordinator!

Early in the process, we knew that we at least wanted "day of" coordinating services. My parents did not want to be worrying about the processional, paying the DJ, or putting out favors while their guests were left to fend for themselves. Deciding on the right company and the right package was much harder than I thought though.

I began my search with these considerations in mind:
1. I would most likely be an out of town bride.
2. I work full time, am getting my master's part time, and am very involved at my church.
3. The future Mr. Palindrome is starting graduate work in the fall.
4. My mom and I need an objective 3rd party to steer us right.

I looked through Wedding Wire to find planners located near my hometown. I chose several that seemed to match my philosophy and aesthetic. I also scoured local web-boards at The Knot and Craigslist. I contacted a total of 5 coordinators after my initial research. Out of the 5, only 1 contacted me within 24 hours. Then 3 more contacted me within 4 days and the last one never contacted me.

My decision on which coordinator basically came down to the person that I liked talking to on the phone best. If I'm going to be working with someone for a year on an event, I want to be comfortable with the person and feel like they really listen to me. As a professional consultant, I know that my clients look for these attributes. I love the fact that I get to be the client this time! My event designer immediately returned phone calls and emails. I also knew that the persistence she showed in booking my account would be the same persistence that she would use to keep all of the vendors in check!

In Part 2, I'll break down the packages and tell you how I decided what type of service was the right service for me!

No comments: