Friday, September 25, 2009

DIY Cake Plate

Back when I pitched this idea, many of you were worried that if I didn't permanently glue to the plates to the candlesticks that we would end up with cake on the table and the floors - or basically anywhere opposite of the place we want the cake (in our tummehs!).  I considered the options and while I still like the idea of being able to take them apart and reuse the pieces separately, I decided to test the gluing option.

I had a tube of E-6000 and decided to just go for it.  I'm pretty happy with the results, so I decided to show you how it turned out and how I plan to make 13 more cake plates for our tables.

This cake plate was as easy as pie cake.  You need the follow supplies:
1. Candlestick (mine is a pressed glass one from the thrift store)
2. Plate (mine is a pressed glass one from the thrift store)
3. Tube of E-6000 glue (I bought mine at either Michael's or JoAnn's)


Once you've gathered your supplies, follow these simple steps:
1. Squirt the glue onto the top of the candlestick where it is the flattest.
2. Looking through the plate, align the candlestick with the middle of the plate and gently set it in place. (If you goof, you'll have time to reposition it.)
3. Leave the plate to rest on the candlestick overnight. (Seriously, don't try to test the strength of the glue while it's still wet.  Just let it do its adhesive magic overnight.)


You can see the glue a little bit where I'm pointing.  This is no big deal.  Why? Because it's going to be covered in cake.  That's why.

Here's a look at the finished product:

Would you like to know the grand total for the project?  Raise your hand if you like a bargain like me!

Candlestick: $0.56
Plate: $2.38
Total: $2.94

Yeah . . . I'll let you catch the breath that you lost in wonder of my mad skills (both bargaining and glue-wise).  I'm going to finish the rest a week or so before the wedding because they're easier to store separately for the moment.  I'm also really excited to pass these along after the wedding, but I may just keep the showstopper above!

No comments: