Sunday, November 15, 2009

My (Invitation) Babies

I sent them off with a kiss and tear.  Since they've made their way by land and sea to our guests, it's now time to introduce them to you!

The outer envelope serves as the preview, or even the trailer if you will.  We had planned on my grandmother addressing them, but for various reasons I ended up testing one myself.  Not half bad, so I went for the whole shebang and addressed them all myself.


Don't judge my writing based on this example of the inner envelope.  I goofed a bunch and had plenty of back ups for guests' invitations, but I couldn't bear to waste another envelope for my scrapbook invitation.  I didn't actually use a specific calligraphy style, I just embellished my  nicest cursive and wrote the addresses using a felt tip calligraphy pen in the smallest size (fine).


The envelope lining was a DIY project that I really considered abandoning a few times.  In the end, I'm glad I did it, but if I had it to do over again, I would have paid the extra moola to order them with the lining.  Many of you mentioned your preference for the Flawless invitation from this post, and you'll be happy to see that I cast them as the main character in our invitation suite.


The bellybands and wax seals are DIY additions.
 
We asked our guest to RSVP online which presented a problem for a few of our elderly guests without internet access.  To accommodate these guests, we included a Map inspired post card where they could record their RSVP.
 
The semi-DIY route was definitely the right choice for me.  I was in love with raised lettering, but for the suites we could afford, they seemed too simple (even nekkid!).  The DIY touches took the invites from drab to fab and with all of the positive comments we've received, even the amount of time we spent on them made it all worth it.  Special thanks go to Motherdrome, the Grandmotherdromes, Palindromaid of Honor E, Palindromaid J and Palindromaid S!

No comments: